Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, NERCWYS

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 306981

Map Reference SJ26SW

Grid Reference SJ23486042

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Nercwys

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Mary's church, Nercwys is a medieval church, probably single chamber with a low west tower, it was restored and enlarged in 1847 and 1884. An arch-braced roof with cusped windbraces survives. See the summary account by Edward Hubbard in The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd, p. 404-5. The east window (photographed in 2001) incorporates 15th century glass depicting the lion and boar of Richard III. Description by Michael Siddons in Heraldic Badges in England and Wales (Society of Antiquaries, forthcoming). (2002.11.08/RCAHMW/RFS)

WALLPAINTINGS
Painted screen/reredos rebuilt as throne
a) Cader Fair,elaborate remains of rood screen (or stall work) rebuilt as a throne and painted and gilded. (see Crossley)
b) Three painted panels probably c1820 in the base of tower - Paternoster, Decalogue, Benefactions Table.
c) painted heraldic panels from family pews reset in south wall of nave; one (inlaid) dated 1747
RGN'72
Source: RCAHMW Wallpaintings database. 2004.09.10/RCAHMW/SLE

Digital Images

Archive Records