You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Stephen's Church, Old Radnor

Loading Map
NPRN306985
Map ReferenceSO25NW
Grid ReferenceSO2499059090
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyRadnorshire
CommunityOld Radnor
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
St Stephen's church, Old Radnor has pre-Norman foundations, however, the present church predominantly dates from rebuilding throughout the 15th century after attacks by Owen Glendower in 1401/2 but it includes earlier fabric. Restoration was carried out in 1882 by F Preedy of Worcester. It is an aisled church with a porch and tower. The flat Tudor roofs with heraldic bosses survive. Important features include the unusual and massive pre-Norman font; the screen; and the organ case of c. 1500. St Catherine is depicted in a 15th century window glass in association with Edward IV's badges: the white rose en soleil and (in the apex) the black bull. The floor of the church has many medieval tiles.

Sources: CADW listed buildings database; T.J. Hughes, Wales's Best One Hundred Churches, 2006.

RCAHMW, 12 November 2007.