Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST STEPHEN'S CHURCH, OLD RADNOR

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 306985

Map Reference SO25NW

Grid Reference SO24995909

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Radnorshire

Community Old Radnor

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Stephen's church, Old Radnor has pre-Norman foundations, however, the present church predominantly dates from rebuilding throughout the 15th century after attacks by Owen Glendower in 1401/2 but it includes earlier fabric. Restoration was carried out in 1882 by F Preedy of Worcester. It is an aisled church with a porch and tower. The flat Tudor roofs with heraldic bosses survive. Important features include the unusual and massive pre-Norman font; the screen; and the organ case of c. 1500. St Catherine is depicted in a 15th century window glass in association with Edward IV's badges: the white rose en soleil and (in the apex) the black bull. The floor of the church has many medieval tiles.

Sources: CADW listed buildings database; T.J. Hughes, Wales's Best One Hundred Churches, 2006.

RCAHMW, 12 November 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records