You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Church Of St Julius And St Aaron Catholic Church, Newport

Loading Map
NPRN307474
Map ReferenceST38NW
Grid ReferenceST3228889486
Unitary (Local) AuthorityNewport
Old CountyMonmouthshire
CommunitySt Julians
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period20th Century
Description
The church of St Julius and St Aaron is located on the west side of St Julian's Avenue at its junction with Oak Street. It was built in 1925-6 to designs of architect J.Coates Carter. However, it is incomplete and reduced in height and width from its original 1923 design. Earlier plans for a brick church in 1910 and for a grand basilica in 1917 came to nothing.
The church, its walls built of irregular Old Red Sandstone with dressings of red brick and pantilled roof slopes, consists of three-bay nave with double bell-gable and lean-to aisles and slightly lower three-bay chancel. Internally, the tone is one of blunt simplicity - concrete piers in the nave, wide four-centred arches of dull red brick, blocked arches for unbuilt chapels, and exposed rubble side walls. The roofs are barn-like with tie-beams and wind-braces. Fittings include a reredos taken from the church built at Capel y Ffin (1872-82), font in the form of a big square bowl on five circular shafts of black Caldey Island marble, and a carved stone relief from the demolished sixteenth-century mansion of St Julian's.

Source: extracts from J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (2000), p.431.

RCAHMW, 13 February 2015