Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PAUL'S CHURCH, COLWYN BAY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 308301

Map Reference SH87NE

Grid Reference SH8501978827

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Denbighshire

Community Colwyn Bay

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Paul's church is a notable landmark in the centre of the town and occupies a block of land between Woodland Road East and Rhiw Road. It was built in stages between 1887 and 1911 (aisles and transepts in 1887-8, chancel added in 1894, tower completed in 1911) and is the successor to other places of worhip on and near this site (NPRN 420484).
Designed by architects Douglas and Fordham of Chester, it is built of roughly-coursed limestone rubble with Runcorn dressings and bands under a slate roof. The cruciform plan comprises chancel, with organ chamber on the north and vestries for clergy and choir on the south, wide north and south transepts, large nave with narrow lean-to passage aisles and high clerestory under one roof, and an imposing north-west tower with embattled parapet. The western narthex was added as a war memorial in 1920, designed by W D Caroe.
The church is particularly rich in the craft and quality of its fittings. These include intricately worked choir stalls, with traceried arcaded and canopied rear screen, and reredos designs by W D Caroe.
(Cadw listing database)

RCAHMW, 14 October 2014

Digital Images

Archive Records