Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SAILORS' CHAPEL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 308966

Map Reference SM80SE

Grid Reference SM86630292

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Angle

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description A 15th or 16th century single cell chapel on the north side of St Mary's Church (NPRN 103065). Restored in 1853 and 1862. Formerly used for receiving the corpses of drowned sailors. Coursed masonry, modern red tiled roof. Crypt entrance to east. Entrance to the chapel is reached by a flight of steps to the west. Plain stone alter. Some relaid medieval encaustic tiles. Victorian stained glass.
(Source CADW listed buildings database)
J Hill 24.09.2003

Archive Records