You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Garmon's Church, Llanarmon Yn Ial

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSJ15NE
Grid ReferenceSJ1907056150
Unitary (Local) AuthorityDenbighshire
Old CountyDenbighshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval

The existing St Garmon's Church, Llanarmon-yn-Iâl, dates from the fifteenth century, but is on the site of an earlier church. It is double-naved and has round-headed windows and a south porch of pecked ashlar limestone and sandstone dressing with a rusticated arch. The southern nave has a bellcote. The church was rebuilt in 1736 but the late medieval arched-braced roofs with carved faces to the principals still remain. It was renovated in 1870 and again in 1906.  With the exception of the bellcote, it is rendered and has a slate roof. The interior is in perpendicular style and there is an octagonal carved pulpit of around 1636 in the south nave. A late medieval image of St Garmon (now lost) is one of the wall paintings recorded in the church.  There is also an oil painting of George II's Royal Arms on boards by the northern doorway with the painter's name, signed David Davies, 1740. The glass is all nineteenth century.

Sources include:
CADW listed buildings database.
Richard Suggett, Painted Temples: Wallpaintings and Rood-screens in Welsh Churches, 1200–1800, (RCAHMW 2021), pp. 18–19, 23.

RCAHMW 2021.