Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST GARMON'S CHURCH, LLANARMON YN IAL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 309569

Map Reference SJ15NE

Grid Reference SJ19075615

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Denbighshire

Community Llanarmon-yn-ial

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The existing St Garmon's Church dates from the fifteenth century, but is on the site of an earlier church. It is double-naved and has round-headed windows and a south porch of pecked ashlar limestone and sandstone dressing with a rusticated arch. The southern nave has a bellcote. The church was rebuilt in 1736 but the late medieval arched-braced roofs with carved faces to the principals still remain. It was renovated in 1870 and again in 1906.

With the exception of the bellcote, it is rendered and has a slate roof. The interior is in perpendicular style and there is an octagonal carved pulpit of around 1636 in the south nave. The glass is all nineteenth century.

There is a painting of the George II's Royal Arms on boards by the northern doorway with the painter's name, David Davies, added. The painting is dark, and made with oil paint.

Source: CADW listed buildings database.

RCAHMW, August 2014.

Digital Images

Archive Records