Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CELYNIN, CEITHO, GWYN, GWYNO AND GWYNORO CHURCH, LLANPUMSAINT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 309902

Map Reference SN42NW

Grid Reference SN4185229057

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llanpumsaint

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Llanpumpsaint Church is medieval in origin, when it was a chapelry in the parish of Abergwii. In 1710 the church was still a chapelry, but by 1833 it was a parish church, having been recently seperated by Act of Parliament. Historic(1889) Ordnance Survey mapping depicts the church within a roughly square churchyard (but with rounded southern corners and gently curving south boundary), measuring some 35m north-south. The churchyard has been exended substantially to the south, and now measures some 80m north-south. a sixth century Ogham-inscribed stone (NPRN 94390) is located in the churchyard. There were reportedly five pools (NPRN 309902) in the nearby stream, Nant Cwm Cerwen, corresponding with the five saints. Between 200-300 people reportedly gathered there on St Peter's Day, and people suffering from aches are said to have bathed in the pools during summer.

The church is a Grade II listed building, constructed of limestone rubble with some Old Red Sandstone. It consists of seven-bayed nave and chancel, south vestry and south porch. The nave is thought to be thirteenth-fourteenth century in date. The chancel may be forteenth to fifteenth century. The church was restored in 1874, and the vestry was added at this time. It was restored again in the twentieth century, when the seventh west bay and the south porch were added.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Carmarthenshire Churches, gazetteer, 48
Jones, F, 1992, The Holy Wells of Wales, pg 167
Ordnance Survey, 1889, first edition 25in

N vousden, RCAHMW, 27 November 2012

Associated Sites