Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST EGWAD'S CHURCH, LLANEGWAD

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 309912

Map Reference SN52SW

Grid Reference SN5194221356

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llanegwad

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Egwad's Church was parish church during the post-conquest period, belonging to the Deanery of Stradtowy. In 1215 it was appropriated to Talley Abbey (Premonstratensian) in 1215, and is also mentioned in documents of 1291 and 1536. After the dissolution the patronage fell to the Bishops of St David's. In 1879 it was noted that there were at least three chapels of ease in the parish. According to local tradition, a chapel, known as the chapel of St Egwad (NPRN 418354), preceded the church and was located in a field some 130m north of the church site. The chapel was reputedly converted to a dwelling in the eighteenth century (possibly in the vicinity of the site of Castell Hywel). Pen y Cnap Castle, known to have been in use in 1204, is situated some 250m west of the church. A well, Ffynnon Egwad, is depicted on historic (1888 and 1906) Ordnance Survey mapping. It is located some 100m north-west of the churchyard, in the far west corner of the garden of a house with the same name.

St Egwad's was entirely rebuilt and enlarged in 1849, but on the same site and in the same location as its predecessor. One bell bears the words "NOS REGAT HIIS ANNIS SANCTA FGIURA JOHANNIS" dating to around 1500 (note the mispelling of "FIGURA") Another bells has "ORA PRO NOBIS SA'CTA MARIA'. The current church is a Grade II listed building, constructed of limestone rubble, with some twentieth century brick. The building consists of four-bayed nave, two-bayed chancel, two-bayed north chapel, four-bayed north aisle, north porch, three-storeyed north-west tower, coalhouse and boilerhouse. The church was rebuilt in 1849 to the designs of John Harries, Llandeilo. The nave, chancel, north aisle, chapel and porch date to this time. The tower dates to 1902. The coalhose and boilerhouse were added in the early-mid twentieth century. The church was renovated and re-plastered in 1948. An inscribed stone was reportedly found in the south wall during this renovation. The font is modern.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Carmarthenshire Churches, gazetteer, 48

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 22 January 2013

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites