You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Llandyry Church, Trimsaran

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN40NW
Grid ReferenceSN4335005000
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCarmarthenshire
Old CountyCarmarthenshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval

Llandyry Church is medieval in origin, and its dedication is unknown. It is situated within an irregularly shaped churchyard, and is in very close vicinity to the site of Llandyrri Chapel (NPRN 420), some 60m to the south-east. Llandyrri Chapel was a chapel of ease, known to have been in use until at least 1888.

The church is a Grade II listed building, constructed of limestone rubble with bathstone dressings. It is cruciform in plan and consists of two-bayed chancel, five-bayed nave, south porch, single-bayed vestry (north of the chancel's west bay) and west bellcote. The chancel, nave and transepts are medieval. The nave and chancel are thought to be thirteenth to fourteenth century in date, and the transepts are thought to have been added in the fifteenth or sixteenth century. A plain square aumbry to the north of the alter may be medieval. The northern side window may be medieval. The two-light east window opening may be medieval, but the window itself dates from 1876. The south door has a two-centred surround which is thought to possibly be restored medieval work. The church is thought to have been restored in around 1850, by Mason and Elkington, managers of the Bury Port Copper Works. The building was again restored in 1876, when the vestry and south porch were added, and the roof was replaced. The side wall windows, alternately single and double lancet, also date to this time. The bellcote may also date to this time (it is known to have definitely been present by 1898) as may the stalls, pews and wainscot dado in the nave. The octagonal font dates to the late nineteenth- early twentieth century. A hot water system was installed around the mid-twentieth century. The west end of the nave was extended in 1907 and has a three-light traceried west window. The oak alter table dates to 1946, and the oak pulpit dates to 1966.

Sources include:
Cadw, 2012, Listed Buildings Database
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Carmarthenshire Churches, gazetteer, 48

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 15 October 2012


Link to Llandyry Church Cemetary Project pdf document, produced by Graham Tudor Emmanuel in 2023.


application/pdfDD2023_016 - General Digital Donations CollectionA copy of the Llandyry Church Cemetery Project which recorded the 770 graves in the churchyard. Also includes a history of the church. Produced by Graham Emmanuel in 2023.