You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Bronllys Castle, Coach House And Stables

Loading Map
NPRN31124
Map ReferenceSO13SW
Grid ReferenceSO1488834686
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyBrecknockshire
CommunityBronllys
Type Of SiteSTABLE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Formerly the stables and carriage house attached to Bronllys Castle House (NPRN 25159).

1. Traces of medieval work have been recognised in the northern gable end, possibly re-used as chimney end of 17th century house.

2. A three-bay building facing east onto the carriage drive. It has a single storey and an attic, or loft. The walls are of stone rubble and the roof is slate-hung. It shows a comparatively polite facade to the carriage drive turning circle on the south-east. There was previously a vehical entrance at the rear of the building.
A large and ruinous, two or three storey rectangular building is depicted in this area in a print of 1741. This had gone by 1804, but it seems likely that the medieval work incorporated into the stables is part of the same building.

Sources: DOE Guide.
CADW Listed Buildings Database (6617).

Associated with: Bronllys Castle (NPRN 96535).

John Wiles 05.02.07