Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TRETOWER COURT BARN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 31288

Map Reference SO12SE

Grid Reference SO1862121198

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine

Type of Site BARN

Broad Class AGRICULTURE AND SUBSISTENCE

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description 1. Built from stone from tower in Napoleonic times. North end earlier, and original domestic building.

2. Barn associated with Tretower Court (NPRN 16305).
Earlier building(s) remodelled as a threshing barn and byre, probably in the seventeenth century. Restored at the same time as Tretower Court and Castle. The walls are of sandstone rubble and the gabled roof is stone tile covered.
The earliest phase was a north-south range, of about 1480, part of the forecourt to the Court (NPRN 86119). The south gable wall, featuring a fireplace, remains within the present building. In the mid to late sixteenth century a barn was added to the south of the original range. Probably in the seventeenth century the earlier range was demolished and the barn was extended to the north.

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (20660)

John Wiles 13.03.07

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites