You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Coal Exchange, Mount Stuart Square, Cardiff

Loading Map
NPRN31766
Map ReferenceST17SE
Grid ReferenceST1894874700
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCardiff
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityButetown
Type Of SiteCOAL EXCHANGE
Period19th Century
Description
The Coal Exchange, Cardiff, was built in 1884-5, by Ewin Seward and Thomas, and designed around the centrally placed Coal and Shipping Hall. The Exchange floor is surrounded by galleried tiers of offices in Jacobean style dark wood. The Coal and Shipping Hall was rebuilt in 1911 and this magnificent hall, with its Corinthian columns, oak balcony and rich wood panelling, is now used for functions and broadcasts. In the entrance hall two lion statues support dials giving the tide times.

(A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 07 June 2004.

Having increasing fallen into a state of dereliction, extensive restoration and renovation work was undertaken from 2016 by Signature Living who converted the structure into a hotel named 'The Exchange'. The hotel opened in May 2017. The conversion, which is still ongoing, has retained several original features, both externally and internally.

(Sources: 'Cardiff's Coal Exchange saved in #40m hotel revamp', BBC, 8.4.2016; Mosalski, 'Cardiff's Coal Exchange hotel will open its doors for the first time this weekend', Wales Online, 16.5.2017)
A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 30.07.2018