You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Newport Market, Upper Dock Street And High Street, Newport

Loading Map
NPRN31986
Map ReferenceST38NW
Grid ReferenceST3107588261
Unitary (Local) AuthorityNewport
Old CountyMonmouthshire
CommunityStow Hill
Type Of SiteMARKET HALL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Newport's Market Hall is one a site that has been use for the town's market since c.1817, when there was a smaller hall at the High Street end of the site. In 1865 this was extended to New Upper Dock Street, but it was then demolished and rebuilt to the design of C. Kirby and T. Watkins. In 1934 further rebuilding and alterations took place, giving the building an eclectic mix of styles. The Upper Dock Street facade of the Hall is in the French Renaissance style, built from red-brown stone with pale ashlar dressings. The High Street facade, however, is in a classic interwar style, with Portland stone on a granite base. The building varies between one to four storeys and has a partially glazed barrel roof. Within there are double and single market aisles, with side and central galleries above, supported by cast-iron nibbed round columns on octagonal bases.

Source: Cadw Listed Buildings Record

K Steele, RCAHMW, 19 January 2009