Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MARKET HALL, NEWTOWN

Site Details



NPRN 32030

Map Reference SO19SW

Grid Reference SO1085291556

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Newtown and Llanllwchaiarn

Type of Site MARKET HALL

Broad Class COMMERCIAL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Market Hall in Newtown was designed by David Walker, and built in 1870 at the expense of Wastel Brisco of Newtown Hall (NPRN 29658). It was built in order to replace the traditional hall on Broad Street (NPRN 408626), which was subsequently destroyed.
The red-brick building has seven bays, with a stone band at window level and stepped plinth. The fenestration is a mix of modern glazing and original Victorian sash windows. The hipped slate roof is concealed by a red brick parapet. In 1976 the principle elevation, facing High Street, was demolished and replaced with funds provided by the Mid Wales New Town Development Corporation, who sought to encourage new industry and housing in the region. The roof is mounted on a canted arcade of iron columns with decorated spandrels. Close to the Market Street entrance a blocked hatch can be seen in the eastern wall, which in times past allowed market workers to receive ale from the adjacent Market Vaults Public House.
During the Second World War the Market Hall was used as one of four sites in Newtown in which the Royal Navy’s entire store of rum was housed.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record

K Steele, RCAHMW, 6 January 2009

Associated Sites