You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Broad Street Clock Tower, Hay On Wye

Loading Map
NPRN32549
Map ReferenceSO24SW
Grid ReferenceSO2290642433
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyBrecknockshire
CommunityHay
Type Of SiteCLOCK TOWER
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
At the top of the street at the splayed junction with Lion Street. Built 1884 by J C Haddon of Hereford. It originated in a legacy by Captain Brown for a clock for the church tower. This idea was expanded by the executors to include the town clock, public hall and corn exchange but only the former was built; cost £600.

High Victorian Gothic tall square tower with chamfered angles; rubble with some freestone dressings. Pyramidal slate roof in 2 stages with open bellcote and weathervane; pyramidal roof lucarnes to each face. Moulded eaves with machicolations. Round clock faces to each side set in pointed arched frames with linked hoodmoulds and stringcourse. Scalloped corbels to angles with 3 treefoils between; 2 arrowslits to each face. Heraldic band with set-offs below and diagonal buttresses with punched treefoil gablets. Double cusped arched openings to N and S sides with hood mouldings and nook shafts; blocked to S boarded double doors to N.