You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

The Wellington Monument on Pendinas

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN58SE
Grid ReferenceSN5842080211
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
PeriodPost Medieval

1. The Wellington Monument is a stone column built on the summit of the south fort at Pendinas. A memorial to the Duke of Wellington, it was probably erected in 1858 or a year or two before. The main person responsible for seeing to its construction was W.E. Richards of Bryneithin. The monument takes the form of an eighteen metre high upended cannon. It is built of stone rubble and rises from a square podium, the shaft tapers before ariving at a swept out funnel. It is thought that the column was intended to carry at statue at the top, which was never installed. The monument serves to pinpoint the great later prehistoric hillfort crowning the hill (NPRN 92236). The monument was fully restored in 1999, following a lightning strike in 1997, with a replacement rounded slate surround at its top specially made at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (10420)

See: Browne, D and Driver, T, 2001. Bryngaer Pen Dinas Hill-fort, A Prehistoric Fortress at Aberystwyth, RCAHMW.

2. The shale/slate pediment around the lower part of the monument is inscribed with copious historic, and recent, graffiti.

T. Driver, RCAHMW, 29 Feb 2008.