You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Tabernacle Chapel, War Memorial

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN58SE
Grid ReferenceSN5832181457
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
1. Designed by Mario Rutelli probably 1922/23. Made from bronze the winged figure of Victory stands has one leg on a globe inscribed with names of those that fell in the First World War. A marble plinth with Second World War memorial tablet rests on the slate platform.

CD/Domestic/SN58SE from Cadw listing
CHN 05/02/04

2. [Additional:]
This was unveiled on 6 July, 1921, and was to the design of Professor Mario Rutelli of Rome and Sicily, 'one of the most brilliant sculptors of the day' (Welsh Gazette, 30 June, 1921). The memorial features a bronze figure, tunic-clad, with a wreath it its hair, standing with one foot on a bronze sphere, and clasping a bundle of palms in its arms: 'in the act of alighting on the earth to impart the news of victory and peace to all', 'the palms symbols of the victories won by the sacrifice of the young men whose names are inscribed beneath' (Welsh Gazette, 7 July, 1921). The bronze sphere is inscribed 'Er cof am/ wroniaid/ Eglwys y Tabernacl/ Aberystwyth/ Y Rhyfel Mawr 1914-18', and with the names of the 14 men from the Church who died. Below the sphere is a white pedestal of Sicilian granite, in turn on a dark stone base, the pedestal bearing a bronze plaque inscribed: 'fu henwau'n perarogli sydd' & 'goleuni y bywyd', and with a bronze replica of the official symbol of the Calvinistic Methodist connexion (the dove descending on an open bible). On the NW. face, a tablet bearing the names of those from Tabernacl who died in the 1939-45 war (for a full account, see The Welsh Gazette, 7 July, 1921).

Notes by Olwen Jenkins forwarded to RFS 10 July 2008.

3. Tabernacl chapel (NPRN 7157) demolished on 11th July 2008; memorial moved prior to demolition and re-housed in Ceredigion Museum. T. Driver/RCAHMW/26th Sept 2008.