Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PICTON MONUMENT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 32669

Map Reference SN41NW

Grid Reference SN4027019951

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Carmarthen

Type of Site COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT

Broad Class COMMEMORATIVE

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Picton Monument is a grand obelisk commemorating Thomas Picton, killed at the battle of Waterloo. An earlier, more elabrate monument had been erected here in 1825-8 to a design by Nash, but being built of Roman cement it soon crumbled and was dismantled in 1846. The present 24.2m tall monument was erected in 1888. It is a plain obelisk mounted on a high square pedestal from which diagonal lower plinths project at the angles, all of tooled grey limestone. These were intended to carry lions, but instead bore cannon, since removed. There is an inscription in raised capitals.

The monument was partly rebuilt in 1988 when it was found to incorporate part of the original memorial. This had a statue and bas reliefs. Part of a replacement frieze is now in Carmarthen Museum.

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (9503)

John Wiles 19.10.07

Digital Images

Archive Records