Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLANDDEWI BREFI

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 33044

Map Reference SN65NE

Grid Reference SN6625555311

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llanddewi Brefi

Type of Site VILLAGE

Broad Class CIVIL

Period Unknown

Site Description The village of Llandewi Brefi is the centre of one of the largest parishes in Wales. Its parish church, St David's Church (NPRN 96671) has one of the finest medieval church towers in Cardiganshire and is built on an important Early Medieval Clas site. At the Synod of Brefi, c. 550, St David refuted the teaching of St Cadoc. According to folklore, his victory was aided by the miraculous uprising of the mound on which the church is built. In 1287 Bishop Bek refounded a college of secular canons here that survived until the reformation. The village has a chapel and two public houses. In the early nineteenth century the village was to be the location for Bishop Burgess's new theological training college, St David's College, but Lampeter was eventually chosen instead.

RCAHMW, 3 December 2013

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites