You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Chirk;chirk Borough;y Waun

Loading Map
NPRN33080
Map ReferenceSJ23NE
Grid ReferenceSJ2910037610
Unitary (Local) AuthorityWrexham
Old CountyDenbighshire
CommunityChirk
Type Of SiteTOWN
PeriodMultiperiod
Description
The medieval town of Chirk is suggested to have been a 'Maerdref', with which the motte and church would have been associated. The borough's first charter is dated 1324; the second, 1506.

The layout of the town was greatly changed by the construction of Telford's Holyhead Road (nprn 402349) in 1812, with earlier civic renewal projects recorded c.1796.

The Llangollen branch of the Shropshire Union Canal runs through Chirk and includes the Chirk Aqueduct, built in 1801 by Thomas Telford.

Chirk was formerly a coal mining community with coal being worked since the 17th century. The largest of these collieries were Black Park and Brynkinallt.
(source: Pratt 1990, 15-16; Hurdsman 1996, 11-13).

Associated with:
Motte (Nprn307013)
St Mary's Church (Nprn12599)
Castle, 2.25km to WNW (Nprn145757)
Black Hill Colliery (Nprn 33430)

J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 27.11.2003.