Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHIRK;CHIRK BOROUGH;Y WAUN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 33080

Map Reference SJ23NE

Grid Reference SJ29103761

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Chirk

Type of Site TOWN

Broad Class CIVIL

Period Multiperiod

Site Description The medieval town of Chirk is suggested to have been a 'Maerdref', with which the motte and church would have been associated. The borough's first charter is dated 1324; the second, 1506.

The layout of the town was greatly changed by the construction of Telford's Holyhead Road (nprn 402349) in 1812, with earlier civic renewal projects recorded c.1796.

The Llangollen branch of the Shropshire Union Canal runs through Chirk and includes the Chirk Aqueduct, built in 1801 by Thomas Telford.

Chirk was formerly a coal mining community with coal being worked since the 17th century. The largest of these collieries were Black Park and Brynkinallt.
(source: Pratt 1990, 15-16; Hurdsman 1996, 11-13).

Associated with:
Motte (Nprn307013)
St Mary's Church (Nprn12599)
Castle, 2.25km to WNW (Nprn145757)
Black Hill Colliery (Nprn 33430)

J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 27.11.2003.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites