Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MONMOUTH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 33172

Map Reference SO51SW

Grid Reference SO5074012819

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Monmouth

Type of Site TOWN

Broad Class CIVIL

Period Multiperiod

Site Description The town of Monmouth sits at the confluence of the Rivers Wye, Monnow and Trothy. It is believed to have been the site of the Romano-British mining settlement, Blestium, and this is further supported by a number of Roman coin hoards discovered in the area. Following the Norman Conquest the area was identified as being of strategic importance, owing to its location on the Welsh-English border, on the trading routes to all parts of Wales and into the mid-regions of England. William FitzOsbern began work on Monmouth Castle (NPRN 93473) in 1067, around which the town developed, further encouraged by the establishment of the Benedictine Priory (NPRN 13001) in 1101, in which Geoffrey of Monmouth is likely to have been educated. The town was enclosed by earthwork and stone defences (NPRN 306510 & 33168) during the following centuries, and bridges began to be constructed across the town’s rivers (NPRN 24219, 24214 and 24231).
The earliest surviving charter preserving the rights and privileges of the town dates to 1549, however, Monmouth had long had market town status, and had a bustling trade with potteries, tanneries, nail-making and cappers’ workshops, and the trade history of the town is enforced by such features as the Market Cross (NPRN 32883) and Market Hall (NPRN 31976).

Source: National Gazetteer (1868)

K Steele, RCAHMW, 19 January 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites