You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Scott's Pit, Llansamlet, Swansea

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSS69NE
Grid ReferenceSS6972098300
Unitary (Local) AuthoritySwansea
Old CountyGlamorgan
PeriodPost Medieval
Scott's Pit, in the Llansamlet area of Swansea, was sunk in 1817-19 by a London Solicitor, John Scott. However, it proved unremunerative and Scott and his partners sold it to the local landowner, C.H.Smith, who worked it until about 1842. In 1872 the engine house was recommissioned but only for pumping and draining the newly-developed Cae Pridd colliery. It remained in use for this purpose, intermittently and with a succession of owners, until 1930.
The main surviving feature is the engine house (nprn 33720) which was restored in 1976-80 and taken into the possession of Swansea City Council. In addition there are the foundations of a haystack boiler (c.1820) and of a Cornish boiler (c.1872), the foundations of a stack for furnace ventilation and the site of the 500 ft (150m) deep shaft, now capped in concrete. A tramroad (nprn 403886) ran from Scott's Pit to a shipping place at White Rock. The site has been restored and is open to the public.
(Source: notes via D.K Leighton for TICCIH 2000 Conference)
Site visited B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 04 September 2000.