Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MARINE COLLIERY, CWM

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 33571

Map Reference SO10SE

Grid Reference SO188039

Unitary (Local) Authority Blaenau Gwent

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Cwm (Blaenau Gwent)

Type of Site COAL MINE

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description 1. Marine Colliery has been demolished and the site cleared. A Hathorn Davey differential pumping engine has been left on the site near the entrance as a 'feature' (nprn 275979).
Site visited B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, January 1993.

2. The employment offered by Marine Colliery was the reason that Cwm was built. This large colliery, which first produced coal 1890, filled the bottom of a steep sided valley and so the need to provide a level pithead area entailed the construction of an extensive platform supported on a framework of high iron columns cast by the Isca Foundry at Newport. The twin steam-winding houses sat on tall pillars of rock-faced stone with vaults underneath which housed an additional three steam-engines near the lip of the adjacent shafts. Two were emergency winding-engines for shaft and sinking work and a third was a huge horizontal pumping-engine. These were moved when the mine closed in the early 1990s. One of the former was a rare Monmouthshire ironworks constructed machine; a two-cylinder simple vertical engine for flat-rope endless haulage built by the Ebbw Vale Iron Company (who owned Marine) in c.1864 and which has now been moved to the South Wales Miners Museum at Afan Argoed Country Park near Port Talbot. The entrance to the mine area alongside the valley road still has the Hathorn Davey horizontal compound pumping-engine, dating from 1893, now mounted on a concrete plinth. The high and low pressure cast-iron cylinders are arranged in line in this monstrous machine: 36 ins (0.91 metres) and 68 ins (1.73 metres) in bore, with a stroke of 120 ins (3.05 metres). The exhibition of this machine, away from its architectural context, reinforces the point that by the end of the nineteenth century, 'hidden' machines of this type had replaced the great beam-pumping engines which were integral with their upstanding engine-houses.
(Site entry by S.R.Hughes for Buildings of Gwent, John Newman, 2000)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 29 April 2003.

3. An 1893 Hathorn Davey horizontal tandem-compound pumping engine is now plinthed alongside the road outside the entrance to the former colliery site. Cylinders ; 36-inch and 68-inch in diameter and a stroke of 120 inch. Above the cleared site of Marine Colliery is a squat circular brick ventilation chimney and shaft (SO 187037), dating from the 1840s or 1850s and disused by 1876. Cwm village to N a good example of 1890s colliery settlement.
(A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 03 August 2018.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites