You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Esgair Fraith Mine

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN79SW
Grid ReferenceSN7400091100
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
Type Of SiteMINE
Esgair Fraith mine was recorded as still having a standing engine house (NPRN 33839) with wheel pits, dressing floors and tramroad embankments in 1984.

Esgairhir and Esgairfraith are two lead mines to the north of Nant-y-Moch reservoir that were worked by the landowner Sir Carberry Pryse from 1689. There were several shafts including one for copper. A shaft on the northern slopes was pumped by a half-mile long run of flat-rods. The mines went into liquidation in 1882.

The Ordnance Survey County Series map for Cardiganshire, dated 1887, (sheet number IV, 3) shows the mines are names as Cambrian Lead Works (Esgair Hir) and Cambrian Copper Works (Esgair Fraith). There is evidence of early workings.

Claire Parry, RCAHMW, 3 June 2011.

SOURCE: Association for Industrial Archaeology: A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Mid-Wales, 1984