You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Morfa Copperworks, Swansea

Loading Map
NPRN34104
Map ReferenceSS69NE
Grid ReferenceSS6607095170
Unitary (Local) AuthoritySwansea
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityLandore
Type Of SiteCOPPER WORKS
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The Morfa copper rolling mills were built by Williams, Foster & Co. in 1828 and smelting probably started at around 1835. The site is adjacent to the Hafod works (NPRN 34089) of Vivian & Sons with whom they amalgamated in 1924 (NPRN 300184). The two works were then combined and worked as one until closure in 1980 after which they were mostly demolished. The site was visited by Brian Malaws of the RCAHMW on 18 February 2000. Surviving features include:

? The main works building with pantile roof, parts at least of which probably date from 1828 (NPRN 34123)
? Mid nineteenth century laboratory building (NPRN 34124)
? Canteen (formerly the power-house) with an aisled interior and a clock turret on the roof (NPRN 34125)
? Red-brick office block, circa 1900 (NPRN 300185)

Source: A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of the Swansea Region, by Stephen Hughes and Paul Reynolds, AIA, 1989

RCAHMW, 7 September 2011.