Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

THE COB;TRAETH MAWR EMBANKMENT, PORTHMADOG

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 34165

Map Reference SH53NE

Grid Reference SH5779038130

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Penrhyndeudraeth

Type of Site CAUSEWAY

Broad Class TRANSPORT

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The Cob is a 1.4 kilometre long causeway crossing Traeth Mawr; the original embankment was conceived by William Maddocks and constructed between 1808 and 1811. It was supplemented by a lower embankment in 1836 on the inland side which carried the turnpike road, whilst the narrow gauge Ffestiniog Railway (NPRN 34660) line was laid on the original embankment. The seaward side of the original causeway is rock armoured; the retaining wall between the two embankments is constructed of random laid slate, dry laid in long blocks at right angles to the slope. A similar wall supports the inland side of the lower embankment, which is partially protected by a rock apron at its base.

RCAHMW, 22 May 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites