You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Hanover International Hotel, Cardiff

Loading Map
NPRN34253
Map ReferenceST17NE
Grid ReferenceST1901575900
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCardiff
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityButetown
Type Of SiteWAREHOUSE
Period19th Century
Description
The London and North Western Railway Company's goods warehouse situated at the northern end of the Bute East Dock on Tyndall Street was opened on 1 October 1875, providing `simple accommodation for the storage of Goods and Merchandise of all kinds?. The warehouse has since been converted and incorporated within a hotel, formerly the Hannover International Hotel and currently Hotel Novotel Cardiff, but retains many original features. The three-storey warehouse is constructed or red brick with black brick plinth, quoins, jambs, string course, window outlines and keystones and a yellow brick moulded cornice at the top. The windows are all modern and all of the opening are under segmental-arch headed. It has an oblique south wall of three bays, the building having an eight-bay eastern side and a nine-bay western side. Above a broad central ground-floor entrance is formerly a two-storey loading doorway, now two windows. The eastern side has former ground-floor entrances in the second, third, fourth, sixth, and seventh bays and another former second- and third-storey loading doorway in the first bay. The western side has a modern hotel entrance and windows in the ground floor. There are further second- and third-storey loading doorways in the third, fifth, and seventh bays. The northern end of the building has been incorporated into the neighbouring modern hotel building. There are three gabled dormers to both east and west in the hipped roof as well as a small central clock tower oriented diagonally to the main structure.

(Sources: Welsh Newspapers Online: Cardiff Times, 9.10.1875; NMR Site File, Glamorgan/Industrial/ST17NE)
A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 16.07.2018