Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

FISHGUARD HARBOUR

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 34308

Map Reference SM93NE

Grid Reference SM9514038750

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Fishguard and Goodwick

Type of Site HARBOUR

Broad Class MARITIME

Period 20th Century, Modern

Site Description Fishguard Harbour was created by blasting vast quantities of rock from the cliffs on the west side of Fishguard Bay, north of Goodwick village, to provide a level area of nearly 11 hectares. Upon this a huge quay was constructed, wide enough to accommodate the newly-built railway line from Clarbeston Road, the harbour station and its associated sidings and buildings, and long enough to accommodate transatlantic liners. Planned to be the western end of the Great Western Railway's line from London and its major sea port, replacing Neyland, the harbour opened in 1906 with the inauguration of the Fishguard to Rosslare boat service. The anticipated transatlantic traffic did not materialise. A stone breakwater extends from Pen Cw at the north end of the quay into Fishguard Bay; it was later lengthened to about 850m and a lighthouse (nprn 309558) constructed on the eastern end. A 750m-long inner or east breakwater, carrying a navigation light at its northern end, was added later. A housing estate, known as Harbour Village (nprn 410488), for railway employees was built on Pen Cw.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 19 May 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites