You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Saundersfoot Harbour

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN10SW
Grid ReferenceSN1374804662
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
PeriodPost Medieval
The harbour was built in 1829-30 by the Saundersfoot Railway and Harbour Company for the exportation of anthracite. By 1837, the harbour had five jetties handling coal, iron ore, pig iron and firebricks from local companies and mines. In 1884, Sailing Directions noted that the southern pier '... the southern has a spur for checking the in-run of the sea, the entrance faces east, and is 35 yards wide; off which is a warping buoy. The bottom on the west side of the harbour is hard, but the rest consists of mud and sand, with a shelving beach in the northeast corner. At the south pier end, a yellow ball is hoisted while there is a depth of 8 feet water within the entrance; at night a red light is shown during the same time, which is elevated 15 feet above the highwater. Vessels of 16 feet draught can enter the harbour on spring tides, and those of 9 feet on neaps; two qualified pilots attend every tide, and whose charge is by agreement, In entering, it is necesssayr to luff short round the south pier head and check the vessel's way in time?' The Directions also note 'Tramroads connect the western side of the harbour with the collieries, which are situated about 3 miles within' The Saundersfoot railway was built to link Bonvill'e Court mine amongst others and Stepaside Ironworks (NPRN 43501, 43052). This trade gradually faded away in the early 20th century and today the harbour has 169 leisure moorings plus commerical moorings for local fishermen. Before the harbour was built, the loading of coal was undertaken from the beach.

RCAHMW, September 2014.