You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Aberystwyth Railway Station, Cambrian Coast Line, Alexandra Road, Aberystwyth

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN58SE
Grid ReferenceSN5851381598
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
PeriodPost Medieval
Aberystwyth Railway Station was opened on 1 August 1864 as the terminus for the Aberystwyth & Welsh Coast Railway, later part of the Cambrian Railways. From 12 August 1867 the Manchester & Milford Railway (nprn 91660) from Pencader Junction also used the station. By 1872 the station consisted of two main platforms for the Cambrian line and a separate two-platformed bay for M&M trains. Substantial alterations were made in 1893-4, but the major development came after the Cambrian was amalgamated with the Great Western Railway in 1922 (the M&M line had been operated by the GWR since 1906). In 1924-5 a new station building fronting Alexandra Road and designed by Harris and Sheppard was erected. It is a classical two-storey, stepped 13-bay ashlar-fronted building with a parapet over a wide cornice and a plain entablature; there are three-bay end pavilions with Tuscan-derived end pilaster strips. A truncated square clock tower to the east end has pedimented and pilastered frames to the four clock faces. The platforms and covering canopies were considerably extended at the same time.

The station has contracted considerably since the 1960s: goods facilities were withdrawn and all sidings lifted; the signal box and goods shed were demolished and the site of the yard and carriage sidings sold for redevelopment. There is currently only one platform for main line trains, the former platforms on the east side also having been sold off. The M&M closed in 1964 and since the 1968 season, the former 'Carmarthen' platforms have been occupied by the Vale of Rheidol Narrow Gauge Railway (nprn 34687) The large brick-built locomotive shed is currently occupied by the VoR, used currently as both a locomotive and carriage shed, although many other related features such as the coaling stage and water tower (nprn 85354) have been demolished.

The present passenger facilities occupy some of the 1872 buildings, including the ticket office range which was originally two railway houses, one for the Signalman, the other for the Stationmaster, backed by the platform and canopy of 1894. Other remains of the 1872 station are still extant while the 1924-5 building has been converted to a public house. The station is currently the southern terminus of the Cambrian Coast Line to Pwllheli via Machynlleth.

B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 28 January 2010.