You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Grand Hotel, Borth

Loading Map
NPRN35021
Map ReferenceSN69SW
Grid ReferenceSN6083090126
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
CommunityBorth
Type Of SiteHOTEL
Period19th Century
Description
The Cambrian Hotel (later the Grand Hotel) was built in 1864-70 by Thomas Savin, who also built Borth Rail Station, with the consultation of J. P. Seddon. An advertisement for the hotel in 1871 noted that it had `10 Private Sitting Rooms, 42 Bed Rooms, extensive Cellaring, detached Laundry, Stabling, Coach-houses and other requisite Out-buildings, and also a large Bowling Green and Croquet Lawn?. During the Second World War the building housed evacuated students and in 1947 the building was renamed Pantyfedwen and presented to the Urdd Gobaith Cymru as a gift on their Silver Jubilee.

The building was a large stucco three-and-a-half-storey, nine-bay structure with large, high chimneys. The front of the building, facing the sea, had six small single-light gabled dormers, three on each side of a large, three-bay and three-light pedimented dormer in the centre. The front also had large two-storey canted bay windows to right and left (in the second and eighth bays) as well as a central two-story canted oriel widow over a small doorway. The main entrance was in the southern wall of the main wing of the building, and thus on the approach from the rail station. The entrance was in a large porch, reached by a short stair, with two round arched openings to the south and one arched opening each in the west and eastern walls. Behind the main wing were two rear wings on the north and south which surrounded a single-storey outbuilding behind which were the gardens (Nprn 86775).

The building was demolished in 1976 in order to make way for luxury flats and maisonettes. Although the original plan was to retain and preserve the entrance porch of the hotel in the new build this has unfortunately not survived.

(Sources: Welsh Newspapers Online: Aberystwyth Observer, 14.10.1871; NMR Site Files, Cardiganshire, Domestic, SN69SW; Lloyd, Orbach, and Scourfield, The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthen and Ceredigion (London: 2006), pp. 438-439)
A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 04.05.2018