Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TY GLYN MANSION, CILIAE AERON

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 35324

Map Reference SN45NE

Grid Reference SN4986759892

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Dyffryn Arth

Type of Site HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Ty Glyn has an 18th century irregular plan. It is plastered stone, 2 storey and attics, and has a porch with cast iron columns. A 2 storey wing (L) has an 18th century stair. There are ruins of a chapel (R). Bellcote arched doorway.

Ty Glyn is a classic Cardiganshire gentry house with a storeyed five-bay front flanked by lower service range (left) and chapel (right). The plan is conventional with dining-room and parlour on either side of an outer central passage that leads to a fine inner staircase. For a detailed account, see the list description and the entry for Tyglyn in The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and
Cardiganshire. RCAHMW's plan has been published in the Cardiganshire County History, vol. III, p. 271. A date of 1767 recording the repositioning of the 1624 sundial has been taken to date the rebuiling of the mansion. This is too early for the present house. Recent (2008) renovation work has revealed two date inscriptions on the main fireplace of the service range (photographed by RCAHMW). The first records rebuilding at Tyglyn in 1730. The second date marks the rebuilding of the mansion by Alban Gwynne in 1798.

R.F. Suggett/RCAHMW/Dec. 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites