You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Althrey Hall

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSJ34SE
Grid ReferenceSJ3790044092
Unitary (Local) AuthorityWrexham
Old CountyFlintshire
CommunityBangor Is-y-coed
PeriodPost Medieval

Althrey Hall is a fine early sixteenth century timber-framed mansion, described as 'a fair house' by Leland. It was altered through the 17th century and reconstructed with several additions in the 19th century. By the time of the 1st edition OS County series (Flint. XXII.10 1873) the house was divided into several separate units. Many additions have now been removed and the house has been reconstructed once more, this time in keeping with its original character.

This is an H-plan house with a central open hall and two storey jettied wings at either end. The hall was entered by a cross passage at the east end which has a fine aisled spere truss. Excavation showed that it had an open hearth and was built over the site of a larger aisled hall, possibly early fifteenth century. The east wing had a central passage with service rooms to either side and chambers above. This passage leads to a kitchen wing with another chamber above. The west wing had two parlours on the ground floor and chambers, including the principal chamber, above. This retains original wall paintings including a portrait of the presumed builder, Elis ap Richard, who died of 'a horrible sickness' in 1558, and his wife, Jane Hanmer, both in court dress.

The seventeenth century additions included a small two storey wing on the west with a chapel on the upper floor, and a two storey porch at the north end of the cross passage. The chapel has wall paintings of the Heavenly City and firmament. In this period the hall was divided into two storeys heated by fireplaces and panelling was fitted in the pricipal chamber, concealing the earlier paintings.
There is an unverified tradition that the hall was once moated.

Sources: NMR Site File
Smith 'Houses of the Welsh Countryside' revised edition (1988), RCAHMW, 622-5
Cole 'Althrey Hall: Excavations September 1991' (1992), CPAT report No. 22

John Wiles 26.02.08