Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 35668

Map Reference SJ08SW

Grid Reference SJ0087981231

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Rhyl

Type of Site HOTEL


Period 19th Century

Site Description The Bee and Station Hotel was built between 1861 and 1868 and was almost certainly intended for use as a public house from the outset It is a large three-storey building with roughcast render, simulating rusticated ashlar, and slate roofs with rendered stacks.
The present layout with angled entrance to public bar appears to have been established in alterations to the building carried out in 1877, although it is likely that the decorative tile work which is such a feature of the ground floor, and the internal joinery, are the result of further remodelling work in c1890. The lobby is entirely walled in brightly coloured, richly decorated tile-work, arranged as a series of panels loosely forming dado, upper panel and frieze. The tile design is reminiscent of the work of Maw and Co of Jackfield, but the manufacturer has not been identified. The internal plan of the public house remains as established in a late nineteenth century remodelling, with public bar occupying the full-depth of the building to the left of the main entrance hall, and is itself directly entered from the street by the angled doorway. The bar, canted in plan, is built against the internal long wall, and a serving hatch set in panelling with bevelled mirrorwork on the hall side, enables service for the former smoke-room (now games room) and rear lounge bar to the right of the passage. The joinery in the public bar and entrance hall is characterised by heavy reeded pilasters, ornamenting the bar itself, and forming architraves to doorways.

It is included as an excellent example of a late nineteenth century public house, with a high quality, complete tiled frontage, and a rare surviving internal layout.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings, NJR 21/06/2010

Archive Records