You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Bryn Y Pys Hall, Overton

Loading Map
NPRN35721
Map ReferenceSJ34SE
Grid ReferenceSJ3680042700
Unitary (Local) AuthorityWrexham
Old CountyFlintshire
CommunityOverton
Type Of SiteDWELLING
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Bryn Pys Hall, Overton, a country mansion built around 1739, went through many stages of being remodelled. It is a three storey building with a west front which had a five bay centre between 2 semi circular bows and a seven bay south front. The Georgian massing survived remodelling of the 1850's. Demolished in 1956.

Outbuildings: Granery: A two storey stone building with a pitched slate roof and a decorative carved stone doorway, focal point being a knights helmet at the centre of the broken pediment.

Coach house/stables. A rectangular two storey building with a gable fronted large arched doorway. A slate hipped roof and a Cupola above a rusticated arch. The stable doorway: Either side of the door are engaged Tuscan columns, these 'support' a scrolled pediment. In the pediment itself a dated inscription, 1739 is located.

Interior: South eastern tower entrance: A wooden floor room with a large carved stone fireplace. The bottom half of the walls are covered in wood panelling. Wood beamed ceilings. A stoned archway dates 1739 and 1884.

(Hubbard, Edwards. 1986. The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (Denbighshire and Flintshire). Penguin Books).

CHN 13/11/03