Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CYSTENNIN'S CHURCH, LLANGWSTENIN, LLANDUDNO

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 358

Map Reference SH87NW

Grid Reference SH8220979218

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llandudno

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Gwstenin's church is a nineteenth-century building built reputedly on the site of a fifteenth-century or early sixteenth-century predecessor, built in that style and with Perpendicular windows. It is located on the east side of Cystennin Road, in a rectangular churchyard used, and extended, as a cemetery. The church was built in 1843 to designs of Thomas Jones of Chester. Built with stone walls and slate roof, the church consists of an undivided nave and chancel, west gallery, and a pedimented west bellcote rising above a slightly projecting west bay housing an entrance. The north and south elevations of the nave and chancel each have three windows of three lights in openings with pointed heads. At the west end of both elevations there is a shallow gabled projection over a tall Perpendicular window. Each chancel window has five lights. Stained glass includes fragments from c.1500. Internal memorial monuments include several from the eighteenth century.
Sources:
Cadw Listing description.
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.444-5.

RCAHMW, 8 March 2016

Digital Images

Archive Records