You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Myllin's Church, Llanfyllin

Loading Map
NPRN400220
Map ReferenceSJ11NW
Grid ReferenceSJ1417419565
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyMontgomeryshire
CommunityLlanfyllin
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
St. Myllin's Church was, according to tradition, founded in the seventh century, and the Irish monk, St. Moling, was believed to have been buried beneath the altar. The first verifiable record of the church was in 1254, however, and all physical traces of early buildings have faded from the site. There are surviving plans and images of the earlier building.
The present church was built in 1706-10 in the manner of a Wren-style church hall. In 1863 the architect Walter Scott attempted to `Normanize? the church, redesigning the window surrounds in the Romanesque style and adding coloured stained glass. Inside the church he installed a triumphal-arch type chancel screen, decorated arches and elaborate tiling. In 1959 the church was restored to a more austere look, with the removal of much of the wall decoration and the installation of oak panelling.
The embattled church is built from red Llanfyllin-made brick with freestone dressings, and comprises a continuous nave and chancel, west gallery and tower, north organ chamber and vestry, and the south doorway is triangular-pedimented with moulded stone surround. The hipped roof is of Welsh slate.

Source: RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 17 November 2008