Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MYLLIN'S CHURCH, LLANFYLLIN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 400220

Map Reference SJ11NW

Grid Reference SJ1417419565

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Llanfyllin

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St. Myllin’s Church was, according to tradition, founded in the seventh century, and the Irish monk, St. Moling, was believed to have been buried beneath the altar. The first verifiable record of the church was in 1254, however, and all physical traces of early buildings have faded from the site. There are surviving plans and images of the earlier building.
The present church was built in 1706-10 in the manner of a Wren-style church hall. In 1863 the architect Walter Scott attempted to ‘Normanize’ the church, redesigning the window surrounds in the Romanesque style and adding coloured stained glass. Inside the church he installed a triumphal-arch type chancel screen, decorated arches and elaborate tiling. In 1959 the church was restored to a more austere look, with the removal of much of the wall decoration and the installation of oak panelling.
The embattled church is built from red Llanfyllin-made brick with freestone dressings, and comprises a continuous nave and chancel, west gallery and tower, north organ chamber and vestry, and the south doorway is triangular-pedimented with moulded stone surround. The hipped roof is of Welsh slate.

Source: RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 17 November 2008

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites