Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CYNWYL'S CHURCH, ABERPORTH;ST CYNFIL'S CHURCH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 400323

Map Reference SN25SE

Grid Reference SN2560451077

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Aberporth

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Unknown

Site Description St Cynwil's Church is depicted as St Cynfil's Church on historic (1889 and 1905) Ordnance Survey mapping. The church was a parish church during the medieval period, belonging to the Deanery of Sub-Aeron. It was in the possession of Talley Abbey. By the mid-eighteenth century the church was a parish church. Historic Ordnance Survey mapping depicts the buildings of Plas Farm some 90m west of the church. The farm site is now a modern housing estate. A font, with square bowl and cylindrical stem, is mounted in the churchyard adjacent to the porch is late medieval in date.

The pre-1855 church comprised nave and chancel with pointed chancel arch and a large west bellcote. The west door was reportedly medieval and there is thought to have been a tomb recess in the north wall. The church was rebuilt in 1855-1857, to the designs of R.J. Withers, London, on the foundations of its predecessor but retaining nothing from the earlier fabric. The church is constructed of squared Pwntan sandstone rubble and consists of two-bayed chancel, three-bayed nave, south porch, north vestry and boilerhouse (east of vestry). The font dates from the nineteenth century.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Ceredigion Churches, gazetteer, 48
Ordnance Survey, 1889, first edition 25in
Ordnance survey, 1906, second edition 25in

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 18 November 2013

Digital Images

Archive Records