Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PEDROG'S CHURCH, Y FERWIG

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 400330

Map Reference SN14NE

Grid Reference SN1833949578

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Y Ferwig

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Pedrog's church is located in a rectangular churchyard used as a cemetery in a prominent position above the village centre, set back from the road and accessed by a narrow lane. Verwig is the only non-Welsh parish name in Ceredigion and presumably derives from a coastal Norse settlement.
The church dates from 1842 when an application for a grant was made to the Church Building Society. It was built in 1853-4 to designs of Henry Woodyer, and is considered to be a poor example of his work by an otherwise esteemed Victorian architect. It is constructed of cut grey Cilgerran stone and Bath stone tracery, with tall steeply-pitched slate roofs. It consists of nave and narrower chancel, north vestry and gabled south-west porch. The church was built against the tower of a medieval church. The tower became unsafe and was completely demolished in 1976. A new west wing was built in its place.
Sources:
CD/Ecclesiastical/SN14NE from D.B. Hague and E.T. Richards.
Google Street View, May 2011.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.590.

D Leighton & C Nicholas, RCAHMW, 21 July 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records