You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Michael's Church, Forden

Loading Map
NPRN400341
Map ReferenceSJ20SW
Grid ReferenceSJ2271801119
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyMontgomeryshire
CommunityForden
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The current St. Michael's is the second incarnation of this parish church; it was built in 1865-6 to replace a dilapidated medieval single cell church south of the site. When St. Michael's was consecrated in 1867 the earlier church was destroyed, and now little trace remains.
The replacement building is a fine example of a mid-Victorian church, which has been little altered since its first construction. When additions were made in 1879 the original architect, Thomas Nicholas, was once again instructed. St. Michael's is in an early Decorated style, and consists of a nave with north and south aisles, chancel, lean-to vestry and three stage south west tower with small pyramidal roof, wind vane and weathercock. It is built from local rubble masonry with red Grinshill and cream Minera dressings. The only element of the former church incorporated into this site is the oval streaked marble font bowl, dated 1791, now mounted on a played octagonal shaft in the new church.

Source: Cadw Listing Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 25 November 2008
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfCPATP - Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust Project Archives