Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST TYSILIO'S CHURCH, NEAR CWMTUDU, LLANDYSILIOGOGO

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 400361

Map Reference SN35NE

Grid Reference SN3633857488

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llandysiliogogo

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Medieval

Site Description St Tysilio's church is situated near end of a lane, east of Cae'r-llan farm. It was built in 1825 on the site of an earlier church, by Elias Davies and Henry Parry, and restored in 1890 by David Davies of Penrhiwllan. It is constructed of rubble walls (retaining older battered foundations to nave north), slate sills and stone voussoirs, and slate roofs with overhanging eaves. It consists of a plain whitewashed nave with lower and narrower chancel, pointed doorway in west gable wall and pointed window openings. The west bellcote and cheap wooden tracery window frames came from the 1890 restoration.
Inside, the arch-braced roof of low pitch with king-posts dates from 1890; the boarded and ribbed wagon roof to the chancel is of similar date.
The chancel arch is plain and wide, extending beyond the chancel wall to the south. To the north-west of the nave is a screened late nineteenth-century vestry. The octagonal ashlar font is probably of fifteenth century date. A twelfth-century font at St Llawddog's Cenarth (NPRN 309895) is said to come from here. Pulpit and chancel fittings are of twentieth-century date.

Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.508.
RCAHMW Carmarthenshire Inventory, no.60, pp13-14)

D.Leighton & C.H.Nicholas, RCAHMW, 14 July 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites