You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St John's Church, Sarnau

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN35SW
Grid ReferenceSN3154551070
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
St John's Church is situated within a triangular churchyard, bounded by roads on its north-east and south-east sides. The church,built as a chapel of ease to St Michael's Church, Penbryn (NPRN 105363), opened in 1889. The church's former square, scalloped sandstone font dates to the twelfth century. It was found in a field near Cenarth and is thought to have originated from St Llawddog's Church, Cenarth (NPRN 309895). The font has now been removed to St Michael's Church, Penbryn.

The church was constructed in 1887-1889, to the designs of David Davies. It consists of nave, semi-octagonal chancel, south porch and north vestry and west bellecote. The walls are of roughly coursed local rubble-stone with brick window dressings. A bellcote to the west end has brick quoins. The windows are tall lancets with centred arched heads. The nave roof is of close coupled scissor braced rafters. The chancel roof is branded. The church was redundant by 1984.

Sources include:
Lloyd, T, Orbach, J and Scourfield, R, 2006, The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion

RCAHMW, 7 February 2013