Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVID'S CHURCH, LLANARTH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 400370

Map Reference SN45NW

Grid Reference SN42295775

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llanarth (Ceredigion)

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St David's Church is situated within a curvilinear churchyard, bounded by a road on its south-east side. An incised cross, now in the ground floor of the tower, is also inscribed with Ogam. The church was a parish church during the medieval period, belonging to the Deanery of Sub-Aeron and the benefice was a vicarage belonging to St Davids Cathedral. In 1290 Bishop Thomas Bek granted the church, along with the chapel of Llanina, to his Collegiate Church at Llanddewi Brefi. In 1833 the living was a vicarge to which the perpetual curacy of Llanina was annexed.

The church is a Grade II* listed building, constructed of limestone rubble. It consists of five-bayed nave, two-bayed chancel, three-storey west tower and vestry (north of chancel). The church's former font lies in the ground floor of the tower. It is twelfth century in date and has a square bowl, without a stem, resting on a low base comprising four moulded lions. It is similar to fonts at Henfynyw and Llanina. The tower is late fifteenth century in date. It is entered through a fifteenth-century doorway leading to a spiral stair. A former north chapel (on the site of the present vestry) may have been medieval in date. In 1773 it was known as the Cross Chapel. Three bells in the belfry date to 1776 and were recast by Parry, Bristol at that time. The tower has a crow-stepped, crenellated parapet of the same pattern as the towers at St David's Church, Blaenporth (NPRN 308996) and St Gwynin's Church, Llanwnen (NPRN 400402). The crenellations are known to have been present by 1859, at which time there was a doorway in the chancel's south wall. The church was restored in 1871, to the designs of R.J. Withers, London. Churchyard build-up was removed from the around the north wall of the church, the chapel was removed and the vestry added. The church was also refenestrated (apart form the tower), refloored and reroofed. The west door was rebuilt and the chancel south door blocked. A heating apparatus was installed in the nave. The octagonal, oolite font also dates from this time. In 1895 Holy Trinity Church (NPRN 419305) was constructed as a chapel of ease for St David's (then St Vylltyg's).

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Ceredigion Churches, gazetteer, 48

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 26 November 2013

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites