You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

All Saints' Church, Llangorwen

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN68SW
Grid ReferenceSN6033583832
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century

All Saints Church is situated on the east side of the B4572 road, within a roughly square churchyard, bounded on its southern side by the Afon Clarach. The church was constructed in order to serve parishioners living a considerable distance from the parish church, St Padarn's (NPRN 271), at Llanbadarn Fawr. It was built under the inspiration of the Oxford Movement, and was one of the first churches to embody their theological and architectural ideals. The consecration service was given in Welsh.
It was built in the Early English style in 1838-41 by H.J.Underwood of Oxford, the west front and south porch by William Butterfield in 1849-50. It is constructed of squared, grey Silurian slate-shale brought to course; the base plinth has large quarry-faced blocks, with tooled masonry above to sill-course, and smooth facing above. Bath-stone has been used in the east window tracery, and in the porch. Roofs are of slate, steeply pitched, with coped gables and chancel cross. The church consists of aisleless nave, lower chancel and south-west porch. A tower had been planned but was never built. In order to disguise this, the west front, of different stone, has two lancets flanking a big mid buttress carrying a tall slim octagonal spire, of intricate design, the upper part of which has squat bell-stage.
The interior is relatively austere with plastered walls and plain chamfered pointed chancel arch. The nave has a low-pitched roof of late fifteenth-century type, three tie-beam trusses with wall-posts and arched braces on corbels. The west bell-tower protrudes into the nave, with corbelled upper parts and a flat-headed opening at ground-level. The chancel is contrastingly ornate with fine ashlar Early English detail modelled on Salisbury Cathedral. Its roof is steep-pitched with oak mock hammerbeam trusses with pendants. The ashlar altar with cusped panels was the first stone altar in Wales since the Reformation. The full-width panelled reredos is a blind arcade of seven bays with pointed arches, column shafts and moulded capitals. Stained glass includes works by Wailes (1850s), C.Evans & Co (1889) and Celtic Studios (1950).

Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.522-3.

RCAHMW, 14 July 2015