Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CALDEY ISLAND

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 401669

Map Reference SS19NW

Grid Reference SS1350096500

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Tenby

Type of Site ISLAND

Broad Class UNASSIGNED

Period General

Site Description Caldey Island lies south across the Caldey Sound from the coast of Pembrokeshire, 3km south of Tenby. It has been inhabited since the Stone Age, and monks first came to Caldey in the 6th Century. Since then it has been home to various orders, including the Benedictines from the 12th century, who set up a priory on the island, much of which is still standing [NPRN: 245]. In 1906 the Anglican Benedictines purchased Caldey and built the present Italianate style abbey [NPRN: 247]. Since 1929 the Island has been owned by the Cistercian order.
Ian Archer, RCAHMW, 29th March 2005.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites