You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Llanfrere: St Ffraid's Chapel And Cropmark Enclosure

Loading Map
NPRN401924
Map ReferenceSN44NW
Grid ReferenceSN4040045980
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
CommunityLlandysul
Type Of SiteCHAPEL OF EASE
PeriodUnknown
Description
St Ffraid's Church site is situated within the north-east corner of a field known as Cae Capel, which borders a strip of woodland to the west of which is a stream. Historic (1889 and 1905) Ordnance Survey mapping depicts a road delineating Cae Capel's north and east field boundaries. Cropmarks of an oval enclosure have also been noted. Measurements are given as some 65m north-north-west to south-south-east by 48m. The enclosure is described as being set on ground falling to the north-east, with the north-east and eastern sides being defined by the current field boundaries above steeply sloping ground.

St Ffraid's Church is reportedly depicted on Saxton's map of 1598 and was reportedly ruinous by the early nineteenth century. It is depicted on historic Ordnance Survey mapping. The church, one of six reported chapels of ease to Llandysul parish, was referred to as Llanfrene in 1907. At this time all six chapels were noted to be in ruins. A shallow depression, about 15m across with much undressed rubble, was noted here in 1976.

RCAHMW, 6 January 2014